A room with a view … and a story.
Villa Giulia is on the outskirts of the town of Bellagio on Lake Como. It was built in 1624 by Eudemio Camutio and then called Villa Camuzia.
At the end of the 18th century it was renovated by Conte Pietro Venini, a native of Bellagio, and called Villa Giulia in honour of his wife. The area to the front of the villa is kept open, without planting, so as not to obstruct the view. He purchased a long strip of land across the road from the villa, which he again kept free of planting, so as to continue his uninterrupted view from the villa to the lake and across to the other side. This long strip of grass is called the “Vialone” and is open to the public for pedestrian access to the church of S. Maria, the small fishing village of Pescallo and one of the entrances to Villa Melzi.
There is a story that while he named the villa in his wife’s honour he maintained the view to the other side of the lake so he could enjoy the view to his mistress’ house!